Monday, May 4, 2009

My Ephemeral Time in the #1 Spot

After my dismal weekend and blowing two jumpers runs with Double Q's on the line it's clear I can't handle this pressure to stay on top so I'm just going to call it quits. I just read Melanie's blog this morning and Austin got more points on Friday than we did all weekend. I've just lost the lead we've had for months in the last two trials ~ though I will admit that there weren't many points to be had. Even if we stay in the Top 5, I won't be making the long trip to California for the AKC Agility Invitational, so why bother? I know she's the faster, better dog out there and she was the fastest red dog at Nationals.

Then something happened on Sunday that made me wake up and see what really matters. I was training weaves with Ruby when River t-boned her while she was weaving. She just stopped and wouldn't put weight on her right rear. River got scruffed and put into the house - I've about had it with him doing that to her - and I went back to Ruby and rubbed her leg for awhile and gave her a bunch of treats. We walked around a bit and she just seemed a little stiff. Then she was trotting and loping around so I got some really good treats and she decided that she wanted to work so we did some sepentines to the weaves and she was moving like her old self. She must have just got a stinger but it really scared me and I'm just glad she's okay.

Anyway, I'm waving the white flag; I give up. The 24" class in our area is just sooo competitive that we don't stand a chance. All the 24" Border Collies, Ashlee & Spirit, Kim & Jersey, Abby & Whitney, Kelly & Preacher not to mention Kris & Clever and Renee & Belle who just went to World Team Tryouts. Even Scott and his Terv, Partner beat us on occasion so there's not many points to be had. I'm sure the AKC will be SOOOOO happy that the same OLD f---ing dogs will be there. Nothing like seeing the same 8 and 6 year old grizzled vizslas running around with their handlers for the last 4 years in a row. Great! I'll be sure to tune into Animal Planet next year. NOT!

I only wish I hadn't gone to Nationals. Melanie got a good look at her competition and is pushing her old dog to the limits; I feel sorry for him. And I'm sure she reported back to those catty California women. There is something to be said about having anonymity. Oh well. This WAS to be our year, not so much anymore.

2 comments:

mybestdogkeelie said...

Aw I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a great weekend. I still think your great! PLUS I gave your blog an award! Check out my blog to see!

Rascal's Trainer said...

I think you need to read your April 29th post.


I also think you should not give up. Ruby has done great for what I've seen. Please keep going.